Coda File System

Re: Coda

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:08:10 +0100 (MET)
Hello Simone,

> Today I'm planning to start the new coda server for a mail project.
>
> I have here 3 machine, with a 73gb u160 disk.

your setup is going to be the largest known (at least to me :)

> How is the best way to do partition and all ?

On each host:

Create a file data partition for each server process, you will need one
server process per 20 Gbyte or like that =>
  3 server processes per host, 3 * 20G partitions,
Reserve 1G swap per server process, i.e. 3G.

Set up RVM in files, with 768M rvm data per server (more is a bit unsafe).

I have never tested a setup with multiple server processes per host, so
you will have to figure this out for yourself. Read the scrips, read the
docs, search in this list archives...

Then very important but not necessarily Coda-specific stuff:

make setups several times all the way from the beginning:
 - one small server, tests
 - one big server, big tests
 - two big servers, big tests
 - three big servers, test disaster recovery full scale:
   network failures,
   conflicting updates and failed resolution,
   server hardware failure,
   software bug (say corrupted rvm so that you have to
   go for magnetic tapes - test the procedure)
 - set up and test server watch, as one server being down too long leads
   to the whole system shutdown when resolution logs saturate

Good luck!
--
Ivan