Coda File System

Q: Is Partial Replication Possible?

From: Brian White <bcwhite_at_precidia.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:53:08 -0500
Can CODA handle "partial replication"?  That is, can it handle having files
replicated across only some servers or does it always have to replicate
all files across all servers?

Let's say I have a system with 100 servers, each serving up files from a
large not-heavily-used archive to a local cluster of machines.  I have
these servers in place already for other purposes; using CODA to make
the archive available is just one more benefit.

I'd like to be able to say that the files in this archive must exist on
at least 3 (for example) servers at any one time, but can be held on more
if it is convenient.  Such a setting would allow me to make use of the disk
space available across all servers (much like a raid) without each server
having to replicate everything.  Frequently used files would obviously
get replicated across many servers (for speed) while infrequently used
files would just reside in the minimum number of places.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite_at_precidia.com )

            On the road to success, you can be sure of one thing...
                   there is never a crowd on the extra mile.