Coda File System

a coda success story amongst my troubles!

From: Greg Troxel <>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:49:46 -0500
Earlier, I upgraded to cvs-HEAD to get the reintegration fix patch,
and ended up with buggy rpc2 code and all my venii crashed :-(.  I
backed off from that and now all is ok.

In the middle of all this, I'm also debugging significant surgery to
the PF_KEY code on my laptop.  Bugs in my code caused IPsec to be
unstable, and thus I didn't run racoon (IKE daemon), and venus
couldn't talk to the coda server.  I had been editing my software
development log file, but was losing due to the emacs/NetBSD/SIGIO
problem, so I stopped and kept a local copy.

Then, I wanted to apply a patch to du I had developed for FreeBSD (to
not report sizes of files marked 'nodump').  Without thinking, I
grabbed the patch out of /coda/home/gdt/PATCHES/FREEBSD, edited it
into the NetBSD source, and ran 'cvs diff' redirecting to
/coda/home/gdt/PATCHES/NETBSD/du-nodump.   I did this all forgetting
that I had no connectivity to the server.

Later, I got IPsec stable enough, rebooted, started up racoon and
venus, and my changes got reintegrated correctly as soon as I got
tokens.  I know this _shouldn't_ be exciting, but it was, particularly
given my recent adventures.

On the subject of emacs, compiling emacs21 with


added to

seems to result in satisfactory operation.  Thanks to Brett for the
hint.  So, it seems that the coda kernel code in NetBSD 1.6 doesn't
handle signals well.
Received on 2003-02-14 12:54:36