Coda File System

Re: Coda server and QMAIL

From: Steffen Neumann <sneumann_at_TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
Date: 04 Feb 2003 10:32:54 +0100
Simone Sestini <simone.sestini_at_plugit.net> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> Hi folks..
>
> I'm configuring a professional  mail server using qmail and coda..
>
> Now i'm planning to use 3 coda server on my storage-farm, each one is an
> AMD XP 1800 with a GigaEth , 256 Mb of ddr and 73 Gb of U160 SCSI HD.

I'd suggest you beef up RAM.
Coda uses huge amounts of memory mapped files for RVM.
If you can afford it, prepare go to 512-1024 MB.

> Now i would to know what is the best configuration for SCM, Venus and all.
For Venus make sure that client cache is at leat as big
as the largest files you expect. Do your users mail videos around ?
Apart from that a venus client Cache of up to 1G is usable.

> Any guru here that could help me to plan the correct configuration ?
No, I am not a guru, just my 2c.

Yours,
Steffen