Coda File System

Re: okay, what am I doing wrong?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:48:26 -0500
On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 12:36:57PM -0800, Rod Van Meter wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 12:26, ext Jan Harkes wrote:
> > Another thing I noticed. All the failed callbacks in your server log.
> > You must be going through a masquerading firewall that forgets about
> > what ports are being forwarded when the client is silent for too long.
> > As a result the server backprobes can't get through. Check the
> > 'serverprobe' option around the end of /etc/coda/venus.conf.
>
> I believe those are because I frequently disconnect/reconnect my laptop
> from the network with the server, and I don't always do a cfs
> disconnect.  So far, I haven't been able to see any difference in
> behavior in whether or not I do that.  Bad Idea(tm)?

No difference in behaviour, in fact 'cfs disconnect' does nothing but
block the RPC2 layer from sending or receiving packets. So it is
identical.

What I noticed was that the client's port number keeps changing, and
that is typical for a masquerading firewall. When venus starts, it binds
to a specific port and won't change until the process is restarted.