Coda File System

Re: A Christmas Present: RPC2 over IPv6

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 09:27:36 -0500
On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 02:35:36PM -0800, Rod Van Meter wrote:
> P.S. I'm gone for two weeks, away from email.  Happy New Year!

Definitely a happy new year, wow.

> + * This desperately needs a config flag.  I'm no autoconf guru, so I
> +   just hack this into config.h when I want to turn it on.  Ideally,
> +   autoconf itself needs a test for whether IPv6 and the new APIs are
> +   supported.  I'm surprised no one has done this yet.

That should be no problem. Although we might just go for the newer
getaddrinfo and inet_ntop all the way. In fact I am sort of using them
in the Coda source already, I just force the family to PF_IPV4 and am
using wrapper functions that try to give close to identical
functionality when the real getaddrinfo is not available.

> + * One goal is to eliminate RPC2_PortIdent and rpc2_LocalPort and keep
> +   it all in one structure, RPC2_HostIdent.  This is only partially
> +   done.

Very good.

> + * I'm far from certain, at this point, that I'm not leaking memory
> +   with the malloc()s I'm doing for addrinfo.

Once things stabilize, valgrind should find any remaining leaks :)

> + * There are too many places with #ifdef CODA_IPV6...#else...This is
> +   fragile code.

Using inet_ntop and getaddrinfo even when we only have IPv4 will
probably remove a lot of these.

A chrismas present that I get to unwrap two days early.