Coda File System

Re: coda on RedHat 8.0 ?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:38:13 -0500
On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 02:16:48PM +0800, armani wrote:
> I'm sure my installation is follow the context on
> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/4481/1/

Wow, hadn't seen that one yet, nice tutorial.

> In order to fix the dependence problem of RPM, I make a little link to solve
> such as
> #  ln -sf /usr/lib/libreadline.so.4.3 /usr/lib/libreadline.so.3
> I don't think this way will result in Segmentation fault.
> Ok I'm lied , maybe it will do this.

Yeah, it probably will. The rpm's were built on a RedHat 5.1 machine,
and there is an rpm in the RH distribution that is called 'compat-libc',
which is there to provide backward compatibility when upgrading an old
system. i.e. it would already be installed on your system if you had
upgraded all the way from a 5.1 install.

> http://rpmfind.maine.edu/RPM/redhat/updates/8.0/RootTree.html
> # modprobe coda
> => still Segmentation fault.

You don't need the kernel module for a Coda server. btw. Is the modprobe
segfaulting here??

> And for some bug with ext3 filesystem. I choose the ext2 filesystem for it

That bug should only exist in kernels before 2.4.10. If the default
kernel version is lower, there is probably a more recent kernel
available with the RedHat security updates, some security fixes were
in more recent 2.4 kernels.

> What the damn thing it is ..
> c++ -fno-exceptions -fno-operator-names -MD -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I/root/coda
> /build/coda-5.3.19/include -I/root/coda/build/coda-5.3.19 -O3  -march=pentiu
> mpro -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -DVENUS -DTIMING -DVENUS
> DEBUG -DRVM_USELWP   -c -o fso_cachefile.o fso_cachefile.cc
> fso_cachefile.cc:136: default argument given for parameter 1 of `void
>    CacheFile::Create(int = 0)'

Yeah, the default compiler/build tools have changed a lot since the last
official Coda release. Pretty much all of these things are fixed in the
CVS tree and we are pulling things together for a new release.

> Would  you like to tell me how to solve this problem ? or Any correct way to
> install ` CODA' on RedHat 8.0 ?

Either install the compat-libc rpms and try to work from the binary
release, or pull the latest stuff from CVS... Or wait a week (or 2?)
until we got everything building right on the various platforms and
release a new set of binaries.