Coda File System

Re: did I miss something?

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 16:46:14 +0100 (MET)
On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Jan Harkes wrote:

> > exported by Coda. No offence meant. Coda offers very special properties
> > that are hardly synchronizable with other "access paths", i.e if you'd
> > insist on accessing your files via the local filesystem.
>
> Not only that, but the server wouldn't necessarily notice when a user
> modifies a file on the 'exported' filesystem. As a result it would not
> break callbacks to inform client that a file was updated. And because

It *could* be possible to rewrite the server (and probably have to
implement a local file system suitable for putting the files on it), so
that the server *would* be able to notice the changes. That's why I wrote
"hardly" instead of "absolutely not".

While the meaning is very much the same :-)

Such a project would be far away from being a reasonable one, wouldn't it?

Cheers,
--
Ivan