Coda File System

Re: Coda 5.3.19 and Red Hat 8.0?

From: Derek Simkowiak <dereks_at_itsite.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 17:30:36 -0500 (EST)
> > rpm -U rpc2-1.13-1.i386.rpm
> > error: Failed dependencies:
> > 	libncurses.so.4 is needed by rpc2-1.13-1
> > 	libreadline.so.3 is needed by rpc2-1.13-1
> >
> > A quick check of /usr/lib turns up libreadline.so.4.3 and
> > libncurses.so.5.2.
> >
> > Thoughts?

	If the newer version of the libraries are backwards-compatible
with the older versions, you can just tell RPM to ignore the dependency.

rpm -U --nodeps filename.rpm

	But then there's no guarantee the dynamic loader will find the
newer libraries -- you may need to create some symlinks.

	Sometimes I wonder how many terrabytes of support emails would be
saved if people would simply link supporting 3rd-party libraries
statically once in a while...