Coda File System

Re: w2k sp3 install

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 15:31:22 -0500
On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:11:11PM -0500, Tom Carroll wrote:
> Administrator_at_PIONEER /usr
> $ /usr/local/sbin/venus -init
> Coda Venus, version 5.3.19
>
> Date: Mon 11/18/2002
>
> 11:38:28 /usr/coda/LOG size is 2611887 bytes
> 11:38:29 /usr/coda/DATA size is 10447548 bytes
> 11:38:29 Initializing RVM data...
> 11:38:29 Recov_InitRDS: rds_zap_heap failed (RVM_EINTERNAL)
>
> I'm attempted multiple installs, all failing with the same error.
>
> Further, the cygwin environment is recent; mapprivate configuration
> entry is 0 (zero); and cygwin1.dll has been moved and renamed to
> /usr/local/sbin/cygwin.dll

As Hack mentioned earlier, moving cygwin.dll could very well lead to
unexpected problems. The RVM_EINTERNAL error can however be caused by
many things, one of which is having not enough diskspace or swapspace.

However it only tries to allocate 10MB of RVM data, which shouldn't
really be a problem.

The main problem with RVM_EINTERNAL is that it is a generic errorcode
for 'something went wrong in the RVM internals'. It could be anything
ranging from a clock that occasionally runs backwards in time or a
problem creating the LOG and DATA files in /usr/coda, to a failed read,
write or mmap operation.