Coda File System

Performance problem

From: Auke Jilderda <auke.jilderda_at_philips.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:38:02 +0100
Now that I have my coda server & client configured (except for setting
passwords for user accounts which I haven't figured out yet, see
seems to be very slow even though the server and client are on a 100
MB/s network.

I tried copying a big file as well as a lot of small files and the
performance is an order of magnitude less than with secure copy.  For
example, it took 57 seconds to copy a file of 1.5 MB onto the coda
system whereas scp needed 1.5 seconds (including the login).

To test the speed of the network connection between both machines, I had
scp copy a file of 70MB which took some 13 seconds, some 5.4 MB/s.
Hence, the network doesn't seem to be a bottleneck.

Any suggestions on what is the matter?

Auke

--
Auke Jilderda, mailto:auke.jilderda_at_philips.com (PGP key 0x88583DDF)
Philips Research, Prof. Holstlaan 4, 5656 AA Eindhoven, The Netherlands