Coda File System

Re: crash recovery

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:13:00 -0400
On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 03:34:41PM +0200, Steffen Neumann wrote:
> I couldn't find this one, but I have one strange thing.
> It is not so important since that user is gone,
> but read on why I wouldn't like to erase that volume
> without prior asking what goes on:
>
> Normally every user has a volume for his/her
> own homedir:
>
> 	cfs lv /coda/homes/sneumann
> 	  Status of volume 0x7f000001 (2130706433) named "coda.homes.sneumann"
>
> I have one where things are different:
>
> 	cfs lv /coda/homes/pgehler
> 	  Status of volume 0x7f000000 (2130706432) named "coda.root"

Hmm, that is the fid that is returned by, cfs getfid. I can only thing
of 2 possible things right now. Either cfs mkm was not used, but mkdir,
so the volume was never mounted and everything that you thought was
stored in that volume is really stored in your coda.root volume.

Or, looking at the description of the apparent loop, somehow the
mountlink resolves back to /coda/homes, maybe the wrong argument was
given to cfs mkm? But there should be code that catches at least this
type of loop, as it normally confuses the kernel when a filesystem does
that.

You could try to do a cfs rmm /coda/homes/pgehler.