Coda File System

Re: Coda volume replicas

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 22:48:22 +0200 (MET DST)
On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, Jan Harkes wrote:

> createvol_rep testvol verdi/vicepa mozart:9999/foo marais
>
> which would create replicas on the codasrv on verdi in partition
> /vicepa, on a server running on mozart (at port 9999) in partition foo,
> and on marais on the default partition.

Yeah!

> But that's just dreaming right now...

:-(

> Oh, and because we have client
> triggered resolution removing a replica might lead to dataloss.

I can buy it even with dataloss! Just let the purge script ask:
 - Have you done ls -lR on this volume?...

:-)

>  everyone would probably try it at least once.

Sure - but anyway it would be nice to have.

> > Is the volume storage groups database really necessary, even internally?
>
> Internally it is definitely necessary, a server needs to know whether an
> update made it to all replicas given the COP2 message. It cannot trust

Ok, but then they can be constructed dynamically, without a need for any
administration, right?

Let our dreams come true. May be not today but some day! :)

Regards,
--
Ivan