Coda File System

Coda volume replicas

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 13:32:59 +0200 (MET DST)
Hello,

I am a bit confused about the management of volume replicas.

Sorry to admit, I have not read the source to get the definite answer, but
it would be a rather time-consuming exercise. Hope somebody has the
answer at hand :)

Right now it is not supported (?) to modify a volume storage group or to
move volumes between the groups.
Volume groups historically have had strong connection to IP muticast
groups, while multicasting is not used nowadays, I think.

I wonder if volume storage groups might/should be eliminated from the
administrators view, making it more straightforward to place and move
volumes across servers? I feel that VSG do group data that is not
necessarily logically bound to each other and is easier to maintain on per
volume basis, not per vsg.

I'd rather see a (<name>,<server>) volume identifiers, with
create/remove operations applicable [just?] to such pairs. It would
make volume management more straightforward than it is now.
Some operations like rename should still operate just on <name>, probably.

Would it be a major rewrite to do it so?
Is the volume storage groups database really necessary, even internally?

Am I asking wrong questions? I am just looking for a suitable way to
manage volumes and replication. It is a nightmare for some sysadms I know,
at least while managing DFS... Coda may be easier to understand - but
might be made even better.

Best regards,
--
Ivan