Coda File System

Re: CODA Client behind a NAT

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 17:14:07 -0400
On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 01:33:55PM -0700, Tewari, Vijay wrote:
> So if I am getting this right I need to have a mapping on the NAT to forward
> all packets to the arbitrary port to the client and setup the appropriate
> conf on the client.

Either use a masquerading firewall, which will automatically create a
mapping (and destroy it after a timeout) when the client sends a packet
to the server.

Or set up a static mapping like you suggest, although in that case you
can only have a single client behind the firewall. If you set
'masquerade=0' in venus.conf the client will always send packets from
udp port 2430 to 2432 on the server, and the sideeffect (file) transfers
will go between 2431 on the client and 2433 on the server.