Coda File System

Re: Next 3 questions

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 11:03:46 +0100 (MET)
On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Jan Harkes wrote:

> If an object is cached, but accessibility for this object by the
> requesting user is not, there is an RPC that does nothing but the access
> check. Every object has a small but fixed 'cache' of the access rights
> of the last 6 people that tried to access the object to avoid doing
> these checks too often and to gain a reasonable chance that any required
> permissions are cached during disconnection.

Well it means it would work most of the time "in the right way" except
when a user tries to access an object in disconnected mode that
 1. is present in cache due to some other user access
 2. has an acl, granting access to this user
 3. has not been accessed by this user before disconnection
    or has been accessed by a lot of people afterwards...

It shouldn't be a real problem, unless we begin to run multiuser terminal
servers on Coda in disconnected mode - not really a feasible scenario,
except for network failures/upgrades and similar - but that would cause
other remarkable effects anyway :)

Thank you for the explanation, Jan!

--
Ivan