Coda File System

quotas [was "unrepairable" conflicts]

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:11:40 +0100 (MET)
On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Jan Harkes wrote:

> > I have got a similar effect by:
> >
> > 1. setting tight quota on a volume
> > 2. updating a file (becomes a conflict, file inaccessible)

> Interesting, we don't use quota's, and I believe they are still left
> over from the AFS2 days. They are definitely not well tested. It could

A surprise! Quotas always did work for me, in fact exactly as I'd suppose
they should do!

It is possible to go a bit over quota by writing to a file, then you get a
conflict that disappears as soon you are under quota again. (Venus
complains on the console about quota being exhausted).

No, I did not test quotas thoroughly, but never saw any strange behaviour
except while trying to "repair" quota-triggered conflicts.
They prevented users from writing too much, they let them go as far I tell
them to... hmmm... It would be a pity to not have quotas...

Cheers,
--
Ivan