Coda File System

ReRe: [64b kernel-module] our interest is still alive :)

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 10:51:01 +0100 (MET)
On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Jan Harkes wrote:

> > localhost-samba-server-combined-with-venus do the trick? It might be not
>
> However, we do lose both the authentication part and the 'pioctl'

Essentially you do not loose authentication part with samba at all.
Windows "smb-client" caches passwords and uses them for reauthentication
against samba at each (re)connection that it does when it decides so
(file activity present). Samba just uses these (plain text) passwords to
(re)aquire coda credentials. We are running that with dfs with very little
problems (symlink semantics and case sensitivity being a "problem" when
you run Linux against Samba). No problems with Windows.

Note - plain text is sent only over the local interface, no security
breach.

Regards,
--
Ivan