Coda File System

RE: Coda and webserver mirroring?

From: Jason Pratt <jason_at_eprize.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 16:45:38 -0500
i was trying to do the same thing as you, valerio, and had to give up as
well (i was clearly missing something in the
installation/configuration.)

however, the conclusion that i came to was that:

1> both webservers would be file servers (to achieve real-time
mirroring)
2> both webservers would have coda clients pointing to /themselves/.

that way, both servers would automatically mirror each other (with only
one of them serving as the SCM, of course,) but would be fault tolerant,
in the event that one of them (even the SCM,) failed.

my hopes were raised that this would work after i read about a company
that actually built an LVS web server cluster appliance using this
technique. however, i had to give up on installing coda, as well - i
just couldn't get the clients to mount reliably, the servers to talk to
each other, etc. obviously i was doing something wrong, but i too
noticed that the documentation wasn't completely maintained - it seemed
out of date, and in some cases clearly out of sync with recent releases
(config files in different locations, different formats, etc.)

i think adoption of coda would be *greatly* increased if this one area
were improved. i also appreciate the fact that few people (one person?)
maintain coda, and they seem to be pretty well loaded down. is there any
discussion of the possibility of opening up maintenance of the
documentation (via a coordinated effort with the development team, not
anecdotal advice,) or is there currently a good source of documentation
outside of the coda.cs.cmu.edu site? i didn't find any.

i was (and am still,) curious about performance data when using the
above technique. is there significant overhead or lag when a coda client
accesses a local repository, assuming that the access is 99% read, and
essentially random (as is the case with many web servers, especially in
the asp space.) does this even work?

::ja

Jason bond pratt
lead infrastructure architect