Coda File System

Re: anoncvs borked, reintegration failures over modem

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 13:40:29 -0400
On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 02:07:17PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> anoncvs is failing with ENOSPC type errors from the remote server.

I believe I got that one fixed, there was only 14MB free in /tmp on the
anoncvs server.

>   rpc2 params are not taking effect on the backfetch (are they
>   controlled by the server?)

I believe so, although the server typically already has more lenient
timeouts compared to the client, I believe the overall rpc2 timeout is
set to 60 seconds instead of 15 sec..

>   there are some sort of timeout problems or something else that is
>   causing reintegation backfetches to fail over 28.8 modems

I'm very often using a 33.6K modem. Only occasionally the backfetches
fail, but on the other hand, most of my traffic is related to reading
email, so the client hoards/fetches new emails, and pretty much the only
write traffic is renaming them between directories from new/ to cur/.

> Any clues?  This is making coda somewhat unusable for me.

I've come to the conclusion that the whole server->client path
(callbacks, backprobes and backfetches) is very unreliable. While
working over a modem connection I often get 'NAKed' by the servers,
which indicates that a backprobe failed, the server cleaned out the
client's information and the client has to reestablish all callbacks.