Coda File System

Re: R: Hint on client cache

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:26:44 -0400
On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 06:15:43PM +0200, Andrea Cerrito wrote:
> > > 4) Is it safe (=recommended) to start venus and set it "strong"?
> > > Does the strong option have a time limit or is it permament?
> > it should be permanent.
>
> And is it safe to force it? I'm on 100T switch, so network is good.
> Thank you

Yes, but it won't be able to completely eliminate write-disconnected
operation. A conflicting 'store' from 2 different client will kick the
second writer into write-disconnected mode and turn the object into a
local-global conflict on the first reintegration attempt. Also, when
all servers become unavailable for some reason, the client will start
logging updates. For all other cases 'cfs strong' avoids going into
write-disconnected mode due to (assumed) low bandwidth connectivity.