Coda File System

Re: Hint on client cache

From: Shafeeq Sinnamohideen <shafeeq_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:02:28 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Andrea Cerrito wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I've 4 fast questions about client cache. My volume looks like:
>
> [root_at_homer-a /root]# cfs lv /coda/qmail/
>   Status of volume 0x7f000004 (2130706436) named "qmailfs.rootvol"
>   Volume type is ReadWrite
>   Connection State is Connected
>   Minimum quota is 0, maximum quota is unlimited
>   Current blocks used are 9668
>   The partition has 6908580 blocks available out of 6922096
>   Write-back is disabled
>
> 1) What about Write-back? Is it better to set it enabled or disabled?
It is better disabled. It is an experimental option that allows a client
to delay writing modifications to the server until some other client wants
to read them. It improves performance on compiles & write intensive
applications, but interacts poorly with other clients that are hoarding,
since they count as readers.

> 2) "The partition has 6908580 blocks available out of 6922096" does
> it means that cache is empty? I think that this is the volume size...
> if it is so, how can I see the cache size (used/free)?
its the partiton on the server that is serving the volume. eg: /vicepa
to find the client cache info on linux, df.
other OSs don't have a way of displaying it. Except after a -init, the
cache will always be full anyway.

> 3) How can I change cache size? Is it ok to shutdown venus, change conf
> file, and restart it with --init options?
 yes.

> 4) Is it safe (=recommended) to start venus and set it "strong"? Does
> the strong option have a time limit or is it permament?
it should be permanent.

Shafeeq