Coda File System

"exec" does not see file changes

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 18:56:23 +0200 (MET DST)
Hello!

It looks like a bug.

If I run a binary from under /coda on a client, then it exits, then I
modify the binary from another client, then on the first client repeated
execs get/run the old contents. Huh, it took me several hours to realize
that it was the case :)

A read from the file on the first client fetches the correct contents,
but not exec that uses the old one...

hello.c:
main(){ write(1,"hello!\n",7); return 0; }

bybye contains a different string: "bybye!\n", rest of the binary contents
is identical.

After running the programs once, I copy bybye to hello on another client.
Then on this client

:~$ cmp hello bybye
:~$ echo $?
0
:~$ ./hello
hello!
:~$ ./bybye
bybye!
:~$

Hmm :)

Debian Linux, kernel 2.4.4, Coda progs and module 5.3.14.

(on kernel 2.2.18pre21 + Coda module 5.3.8 a read from file did refresh
exec's idea, too. But it might depend on the filesize, it was another
file)

Regards,
--
Ivan