Coda File System

Re: No more than 7440 files per dir???

From: Brett Lymn <blymn_at_baesystems.com.au>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 18:12:32 +0930 (CST)
According to Steve Wray:

>I like your positive attitude!

I think we all do :-)

>Coda, it seems, will never be a production-quality
>filesystem. It will always be experimental.

Ummm "never say never".  Unless I misread what Jan said he did not say
that this problem cannot be addressed, simply that it will be a big
step to take in the development of Coda.  For a lot of people the
limit of 7000 files in a directory is not a big issue and hence it has
not reared it's head before.  The Coda team need to look at what can
be done to address the issue and try to address the scalability.  I
see it more as a hurdle (albeit a large one) than an insurmountable
obstacle.  Hopefully it will simply mean the next step in the
evolution of Coda!