Coda File System

Re: questions on root volume /coda

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:27:05 -0400
On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 10:04:45AM +0200, Steffen Neumann wrote:
> Second: yes, mounting is done working on the clients,
> but once a volume is mounted, it appears at this position
> in the tree on all the clients.
> (The actual mechanism is beyond me at the moment)

The mountpoints are "magic symlinks", i.e. 'ln -s \#volname mountpoint',
but with the unix mode bits set to 644 instead of 755.

They are stored the same way a regular symlink is stored. When a client
attempts to follow such a symlink, it strips off the initial '#', does a
getvolinfo on the remainder to locate the servers that host the volume
and performs a getattr/fetch for the volume root.

Conflicts and the way they are exploded into a directory during repair
works similar but a lot messier.