Coda File System

questions on root volume /coda

From: O.W. <fwang2_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:28:12 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

I am new and want to test out Coda's usability in our lab.
Here are a few questions I run into and can't find the
answers in FAQ/Manual/Mailing list.

I have root volume created fine, by default it is readonly
to System:AnyUser. I also created one user volume, say
u.fwang2. Suppose I want to have a unified name space like:

 /coda -- projects -- proj1
       |           -- proj2

       -- users -- u.fwang2
                -- u.smith

o do I need to create volumes for intermediate directory
(eg. projects, users) and mount them first?

o why mounting point decision is at client's side? I must
be missing something here: if I create a user group and
give them permission to write under, say /coda/users
(otherwise, they can not mount volume, right?), then it
doesn't seem to make sense on security: each user can mount
other's volume?

o when we say "mount from client machine", does it mean
that whoever using the client machine, request his/her own
token, and do the mounting? everything when he/she log in?

I guess my confusion comes from the management of
hierachical volume and their interplay with ACL, I hope
someone on the list can enlighten me on this.

thanks

-oliver