Coda File System

Start disconnected?

From: Ken McMillan <mcmillan_at_cadence.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:41:29 -0800 (PST)
Is it possible to restart the Coda client in disconnected mode?  I
often find I have to reboot my laptop when it is not connected to the
network. Coda fails to restart because it cannot talk to the server,
and thus I cannot access my cached files.

Also, I have had some serious trouble with Coda and shared libraries.
That is, suppose you are running a program on machine A which is using
shared library libfoo.so. While it is running, you recompile libfoo.so
on machine B. If you then try to run (another instance of) the program on
machine A, you get the message:

	libfoo.so not found

This is a bit odd, since ls shows that libfoo.so is still there,
though its date is old. Apparently, coda cannot kick the old version
of libfoo.so out of the cache so long as it is still in use, hence it
cannot read the new version in, and it cannot report a "conflict" for
libfoo.so, for the same reason. This is highly confusing, and doesn't
match the unix file system semantics. That is, if libfoo.so were
stored on the unix file system, and I recompiled it, the version that
was "in use" would be unlinked. Thus, the original process that was using
libfoo.so could continue running, and new processes using that library
would see the new version. Wouldn't this kind of behavior be possible
in Coda as well? That is, if a file that is "in use" is removed, would it
not be possible for Coda to keep a temporary copy of that file until
it is no longer is use, while removing it from the cache?

	Ken