Coda File System

Re: cfs flushcache .. what to use to flush venus contents to server?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:36:58 -0500
On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 03:33:29PM -0500, Brad Clements wrote:
> On 25 Jan 2001, at 15:18, Jan Harkes wrote:
>
> > Does it show anything about CML entries pending for reintegration in the
> > cfs lv output?
>
> bkc_at_vondane]$ cfs lv /coda/projects/mpg
>   Status of volume 0x7f000003 (2130706435) named "p.mpg"
>   Volume type is ReadWrite
>   Connection State is Connected
>   Minimum quota is 0, maximum quota is unlimited
>   Current blocks used are 15
>   The partition has 2324668 blocks available out of 2732044
>   Write-back is disabled

There are no pending operations and we are in fully connected operation,
the store operations to the server must have succeeded and the client
thinks the server already has the data.

Are you using reiserfs on the client?

> Do I need to reboot system after installing client? I did not.

No need to reboot.

> > > Also I'm seeing a lot of Cache Overflow on the B client . this is before
> > > writing data to the volume, I was just reading from another volume..
> >
> > That is unusual, a client should refuse to get anything that would
> > exceed available cache-space. Cache Overflows are normally associated
> > with writing, the client only "realizes" how big a file as after it is
> > closed, and at that point it might be bigger than the cachesize or quota
> > would allow.
>
> What's strange is that the overflow is only from reading..
>
> 9:54:51 Getting Root Volume information...
> 09:54:51 Venus starting...
> 09:54:51 /coda now mounted.
>
> 09:55:29 root acquiring Coda tokens!
> 12:16:59 Cache Overflow: (1519, -36)
> 12:17:34 Cache Overflow: (1519, -36)
> 12:18:10 Cache Overflow: (1519, -3220)
> 12:18:40 Cache Overflow: (1518, -4564)
> 12:19:15 Cache Overflow: (1518, -4564)

And this is right after the point where the client has tried to throw
out anything that is not referenced to get some free space. Do you have
files that are be themselves already larger than the available cache
size?