Coda File System

Re: Client (only) configuration

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 18:31:59 -0500
On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 10:07:12PM +0100, Steffen Neumann wrote:
> Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 05:34:35PM +0100, Steffen Neumann wrote:
> [...]
> > Check /etc/hosts, and rerun bldvldb.sh after correcting the problem I
>
> Thanks a lot,
> the server's name was not mentioned as 127.0.0.1,
> but even stranger as 127.0.0.2
>
> I'll talk to our sysadmin tomorrow...
>
> Cheers,
> Steffen

I was just looking through the code, and the VLDB is not corrupted by
this. The replies of the servers are. All servers are effectively doing
gethostbyname on the entries in /vice/db/servers, and will fill the
returned address into the response to ViceGetVolumeInfo.

Any server that has it's hostname associated with a non-routeable
address (such as 127.x.x.x) will therefore respond to client queries
with the invalid ip-address.

The best thing is to remove the 127.0.0.2 entry from /etc/hosts. I'm
adding code to detect this on server startup and print a warning to the
server log.

Now we only have to figure out how to best fix the problem. Use an ioctl
to grab the first non-loopback interface address, or have a option in
server.conf to allow a server administrator to specify the address
through which the server can be reached from a client.