Coda File System

Re: panic: vrele: negative ref count

From: Brett Lymn <blymn_at_baesystems.com.au>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:33:48 +1030 (CST)
According to Greg Troxel:

>I have seen indications of a similar bug.
>In my case, it has been 'vref used where vget required' on
>NetBSD-1.4.2, tending to happen when I do a 'cfs mkm'.  I think the
>crash happens when that item in the minicache gets freed/flushed.

Hmmm I am using coda on NetBSD-current (sort of NetBSD-1.5'ish) and I
have not had the kernel panic, I will give this a try when I am
connected to my server and see what happens.  I have had a case where
the kernel seemed to be running but not accepting tty input you could
ping the box, tty input would be accepted and echoed by not processed
- looks to me like it was sitting with the tty spl masked, this has
only happened to me once.

The only other problem I had was when I lost a file but that was my
fault.  I think that I put my laptop to sleep when coda was in the
middle of writing it's checkpoint file, the battery went flat on the
laptop so it lost the plot and failed to resume resulting in me having
a truncated checkpoint archive.  My hamfisted attempts to fix the
problem exacerbated the initial problem causing me to lose a file.  I
had an old version of the file I carefully saved before starting the
repair and so I did not lose too much.