Coda File System

Re: venus: can't find root volume name

From: Brett Lymn <blymn_at_baesystems.com.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 11:21:25 +1030 (CST)
According to Greg Troxel:

>My server is now ipv6-ready (netbsd+kame)

I currently run 5.3.8 on NetBSD-1.5 on my server, the machine
sometimes has multiple interfaces (it is my dial up gateway to work so
the ppp interface comes and goes).  I have not had problems with my
server.

>My rough take on things is that the host table being right doesn't
>matter, and that one has to have DNS working ok.  But this is a very
>fuzzy hunch from trying things - I have never gotten this at all
>nailed down.

No, this does not sound right.  My laptop will run up venus when
disconnected.  Check your /etc/nsswitch.conf file.  For a long time
NetBSD had DNS first on the hosts line, my hosts line in nsswitch.conf
looks like this on my laptop:

hosts:          files dns

this may be why you cannot resolve names when you don't have DNS
because DNS is being checked before /etc/hosts.