Coda File System

Re: venus: can't find root volume name

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull_at_sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 23:40:54 +0900 (JST)

    Jan> How `IPv6'-ready are your hosts? I know that Debian has set a
    Jan> goal to push for full IPv6 support in the next release. When
    Jan> you add IPv6 addresses for your hosts, gethostbyname returns
    Jan> the v6 ones. Coda doesn't handle those correctly at the
    Jan> moment and simply uses the first 32 bits as if it were an
    Jan> IPv4 address.

My hosts are not "IPv6-ready" at all, but the Debian maintainers in
their infinite wisdom have seen fit to add v6 addresses to /etc/hosts
(but only for localhost and a bunch of networks).  One of these days
I'll try deleting them.

    Jan> Does anybody know the preferred way to get the v4 addresses
    Jan> when available, instead of the v6 one.

When available, the getaddrinfo(3) function takes a `hints' parameter
which is a struct addrinfo.  You set the ai_family member of that
structure to PF_INET to request v4 addresses, and to PF_INET6 for v6
addresses.  That's in theory, as I said I'm not IPv6 ready in
practice.

    Jan> Well, if glibc got upgraded earlier or the IPv6 addresses
    Jan> were added on the server, but the VLDB was only rebuilt after
    Jan> the Coda upgrade.

This is quite possible.

    Jan> One big change in 5.3.9 was that we went from representing
    Jan> ip-addresses in venus as host-order unsigned longs, to
    Jan> network-order struct in_addr.  But if anything is still wrong
    Jan> in that area, I should have seen the same problems.

That presumably is not my problem since I don't need to specify
numeric addresses.  "venus -h tleepslib" works fine when "venus" does
not.