Coda File System

Re: venus: can't find root volume name

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_fnord.ir.bbn.com>
Date: 30 Oct 2000 08:07:32 -0500
This seems to be a common problem, and I think there is something
wrong in the code, but I don't know what.  I suggest trying to start
venus like

  /usr/local/coda/sbin/venus -h w.x.y.z -r s.root

using a numeric address for the host.  You might also check dns and
/etc/hosts and make sure that name resolution is working 100% ok.

I find that I need to do this to start venus while disconnected from
the network.  This is important on a notebook, where I want to be able
to get at files in coda even if I boot while remote.  (But really, the
start-disconnected and the find-addrs-on-start problems are separate
issues - they just have the same solution, currently.)

        Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>