Coda File System

Re: How do you tell if a client is disconnected?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 18:44:40 -0400
On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 11:49:39AM -0400, Douglas C. MacKenzie wrote:
Hmm my mailreader seems to refuse to quote text/html messages.
> You asked about how conflicts could be detected.

Servers don't know which clients are (unintentionally) disconnected,
i.e. my laptop might be disconnected from your servers, but do you (or
I) care about that situation.

When clients reconnect there are several reasons for it to fail
reintegrations, loss of tokens, reintegration conflict, etc. One of the
Coda PhD students had developed a tcl/tk based GUI application which
`helps' people through disconnections and reconnections. It also gave
some traffic light like signals of available server-connectivity
(strong/weak/disconnected). However the code has aged and would need a
complete rewrite.

Currently the only methods seem to be, checking /usr/coda/etc/console
for messages like;

17:57:46 cur (7f000524.161.3322) inconsistent!

or using `cfs lv <path/to/volume>', to check whether a volume still has
pending reintegrations or conflicts.