Coda File System

Re: coda does not like emacs-20.4

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 09:30:01 -0400
On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 12:56:56PM +0930, Brett Lymn wrote:
>         I am running coda-5.3.5 on a couple of NetBSD-1.5 boxes, one
> The problem I have is that I cannot edit files in my coda file system
> with emacs-20.4, if I try then emacs just spins it's wheels and chews
> up all the CPU until I kill it.

Emacs is sending itself signals that tend to interrupt long running
upcalls to userspace. As far as I know our kernel code knows about this
and explicitly ignores the signals that emacs is triggering for a while.

>                                                             - this
> behaviour depends on whether I have first modified the files using vi
> or not.

That is very unusual, I can't really explain this part. Maybe upcalls
take too long because of the optimization that takes out duplicate
stores from the CML. How large is your client cache?