Coda File System

Re: Looking for status of Solaris port

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:43:20 -0400
On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 12:10:15PM -0400, Mohan Khurana wrote:
> codalist,
>
> Does anyone have any information on how the solaris port of coda is
> progressing?  On the configure script that I execute, it tells me that it
> doesn't want to use a current version of libdb, claiming that certain
> functionality will not be available for coda.  I'm really new to coda
> and I am still trying to figure out the general way it works, but I am
> wondering if efforts are underway to get coda to use NDBM rather than
> UCB's db.  I am using the source tree obtained from coda's CVS repository.

Some of the configuration databases (users/groups) are simply copied to
all servers, we try to use the same database format on all servers. So
we picked db1.85, because it is available on most (all?) platforms, is
heterogeneous, etc.

If you use ndbm, you will probably only be able to use servers on
solaris. The checks in configs/coda_macros.m4 tend to favor db1.85, so
that's probably the reason it won't pick up ndbm that easily.

> I am interested in using coda as an NFS replacement for one of my
> projects.  The network where coda is to be used it a heterogeneous one
> however, including FreeBSD, Linux, OpenBSD, and a lot of Solaris.  I was
> hoping someone could shed some light as to how the Solaris port is
> progressing.  There doesn't seem to be any mention of Solaris in the
> HOWTO.

The userspace code for the client and server is as solid as on any other
UNIX platform. The kernel code for the client still has no attribute
caching so it might be a bit slower, but is already very reliable.

> Here is the error that I get when doing make client-install on Solaris:
>
> c++ -fno-exceptions -R/usr/local/lib resolver_parser.o resolver_lexer.o
> ruletypes.o resolver.o wildmat.o path.o ../kerndep/libkerndep.a
> ../util/libutil.a /tmp/codawork/coda/lib-src/base/libbase.a -lfl -lnsl
> -lsocket -lc    -o parser
> yyerror(char const *)               resolver_parser.o
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to parser

Does:

../util/libutil.a /tmp/codawork/coda/lib-src/base/libbase.a -lfl -lnsl \
    -lsocket -lc -ly   -o parser
                 ^^^
make it link correctly?