Coda File System

Multi-homed server?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull_at_sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 03:22:53 +0900 (JST)
I've actually gone and set up the VPN (PPP over ssh over IP tunnels) I
described a few days ago and have run into a problem.

For the moment, all of the hosts on the VPN are dual-homed (or more).
They live on a LAN (or PPP connection) with an official IP address
(130.158.x.y), and also each has a tunnel address (192.168.1.z) on a
private network.

I set up the server on a host 130.158.x.y, and a client on a host
130.158.z.w.  This works fine.  Now I set up the VPN, and the server
gets a second home at 192.168.1.1 and the client a second home at
192.168.1.2.  This works only partially; SFTP side effects don't make
it through, so large directories and files (over about 2200 bytes)
time out.

The reason for this is that although the client is told that the
server lives on the VPN at 192.168.1.1, and sends the RPC2 traffic (?)
there, it sends the side effect stuff to the server's publicly
assigned address 130.158.x.y!  I discovered this because the client
host is currently connected via PPP with a separate private address
(192.168.10.1) and has a default route through an IP masquerading
router; the side effect requests get logged in the SrvLog as being
from one of those random IP masq ports on the IP masq router.

Is there any way to force venus to use the configured server address
to talk to the codasrv?