Coda File System

Re: Problems starting codaserv

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 17:04:31 -0400
On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 04:28:32PM -0400, Ashwin Krishna Patil wrote:

> OK I am running Debian 2.2x.
>
> I am installing the coda server in the following package:
>
> coda-server_5.3.1-1_i386.deb

Is that one from ftp.debian.org/debian/experimental? Haven't tried it
myself.

> open_log failed.
> do_rvm_options failed
> 15:07:06 rvm_init failed RVM_EIO

Does the file /vice/srv.conf exists, does it list the rvm log and data
files, and have those file been successfully created by vice-setup-rvm.
What are the parameters you gave when running vice-setup-rvm?

> I don't get it because I rann vice-setup-rvm and everything went fine.  I
> also changed the starting address in the file to x5.... instead of x2...

Sometimes it does, some off-by-one error in rvm was fixed recently
(after 5.3.1) which occasionally hit. Ofcourse, depending on chosen rvm
memory size, time of the year and the phase of the moon. In short, it
was a problem that apparantly existed since day 1, but had never been
really obvious (failed rvminit once in a while) or reproducable enough
for anyone to notice.

Maybe 22M or 130M works.

> Any help would be appreciated, because I can't use createvol_rep without a
> running server, and can't connect with venus without a rootvolume!

Correct,