Coda File System

Re: Question

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 21:13:36 -0400
On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 08:58:16AM +0800, Jacky Bryant wrote:
> Sorry,I'm taiwanese and my english is poor...
>
> I install a coda server and client...
> ...when i put a file bigger then cache size...
> ...i can't get the file...the error message is no space left...
> ...is it regular???

Yes, that is, as far as a Coda client is concerned, perfectly normal
behaviour.

As long as the file is being written to, the kernel gives no indication
of the filesize to the userspace Coda client. Once the file is closed
the client throws out anything it can, writes the dirty data back to the
server and gets rid of that big file as soon as possible.

Ofcourse the file is much too big to fit in the cache, so the client
refuses to ever fetch it back for you.

> ...how can i use it???...
> ...only magnify cache size???

Pretty much, the only other alternative is to `rm' the file.