Coda File System

Re: Venus sleeps and dies, client-5.3.6-1, RH 6.2

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 16:01:29 -0400
On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 01:53:18PM -0400, Karl G Scheidt wrote:
> I have been exploring Coda for the past few weeks, and today I am
> stumped on a client problem.  When I start venus from any client, it
> appears to start up correctly.  But:

> It hangs right here, sleeps for about 15 to 20 seconds, then dies.
> The venus.log file looks like this:
> I also tried going back to 5.3.5-1, both on the client and on the
> server. The client has the same problem;  venus.log is:

This is not the same problem, have you read the announcement for 5.3.6?

SPECIAL NOTES FOR PEOPLE UPGRADING FROM PREVIOUS VERSIONS
! The layout of container files in venus.cache has changed. Before
  upgrading a client make sure all logged modification have been
  reintegrated with the servers. Before starting the new client do the
  following:
    # rm -rf /usr/coda/venus.cache/*
    # touch /usr/coda/venus.cache/INIT

The container file cache is not compatible between the two versions, you
can't simply switch back and forth between the two and expect things to
keep working.

You probably had a network problem when 5.3.6 was starting and it was
trying to do hostname lookups for the servers. If the servers are not
listed in /etc/hosts, this process can take a very long time to
complete. (30 seconds * number of server * number of nameservers in
/etc/resolv.conf)

> **The biggest difference between what I have done today and what I have
> done in the past is that the server (either version has the problem) is
> running on a machine with RH 6.2, rather than 6.1 (suggesting a 6.2
> problem?).  I have not tried reverting to 6.1 and trying again; I wanted
> to see if there is a known solution for my problem first.

Did you look at any of the server logs?