Coda File System

Disconnected operation

From: Dr A V Le Blanc <LeBlanc_at_mcc.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 13:52:14 +0100
In reading the documents, it seems to me that there are three
kinds of disconnected operation: accidental disconnect,
disconnecting using 'cfs disconnect', and disconnecting by
shutting your machine down and restarting it in circumstances
in which no network connection to the servers is possible.

In the first case, I can't see what you can do to prepare for
it, though I suppose you can run hoard occasionally to make
certain that as much as you can hold is cached.  Having set
up the simplest possible hoard file:

    add /coda 100:d+

I tried running hoard on it, then 'hoard walk'; then I gave
the command 'cfs disconnect'.  To my surprise, I got some
files, but others gave me an error.  As the cell is still
fairly small, I was surprised that it wasn't all cached.
I did have System:Administrator token when I did the hoard walk.

Second, I find that after giving 'cfs reconnect' there are
problems which only disappeared when I shut venus down and
restarted it.  Is this to be expected?

Finally, I don't see how to start venus when you are completely
disconnected, and though I thought I saw something about this
somewhere, I can't find it again.  In other words, if you are
bringing your laptop away for the weekend, do you have to
suspend it (which doesn't work on this one), or can you start
it up and see the coda files while you are away?

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc_at_mcc.ac.uk