Coda File System

Re: volutil restore

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 16:06:14 -0400
On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 01:40:11PM +0100, Dr A V Le Blanc wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 11:32:46AM +0100, Dr A V Le Blanc wrote:
> > Has anyone else had problems with volutil restore after upgrading
> > to coda-5.3.6?  Whenever I try it, whether I specify the volid
> > and name or not, the server codasrv dies.
>
> I've got a lot farther; I noticed that the last time I ran
> vice-setup-srvdir, it had not created the various subdirectories
> under /vicepa, which it now has.  volutil restore now creates
> restored volumes named, e.g., 'coda.users.0.restored'.  The
> problem of renaming them remains...

Ok, that indicates the restore is broken due to the lazy directory
allocation we added. Setting up a large server used to take ages, just
for directory creations.

The restored volumes are actually restored backup volumes. i.e.
non-replicated and possibly read-only. That is why the recovery
instructions are to mount them in a temporary place and copy the stuff
out into newly created replicated volumes. It might be possible to flip
a few flags in the restored volume header to turn these non-replicated
volumes into real rw-replica's, in which case recreating empty replicas
on the other servers and editing and regenerating the VRlist would be
sufficient to facilitate full recovery using server-server resolution.
However we haven't had time to look at this.

In most cases when a volume is replicated and only one server dies, it
is trivial to recover. Create an empty rw-replica with the correct
replica-id and force the date from the other replica back by doing an
'ls -lR' from some client over the volume.

btw. `volutil ancient' is used after successful backups to rotate the
dumplists. If it isn't called the we assume backups failed and the next
backup will be relative to the last successful backup.