Coda File System

RE: Server Replication

From: Shafeeq Sinnamohideen <shafeeq_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:50:13 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 fsg.student4_at_bt.com wrote:

> I tried it. I still have the same problem, so I don't think
> the grep is the problem. This is my output now:

You're probably right that it isn't the grep that's going wrong. It
looks like the message is going to the right servers, but somehow one of
them is creating a volume with a non-rep ID that belongs on the other
server. As the first byte of the Volume ID is supposed to be the server
ID, it looks like both of them think they are Server ID 42.

> [root_at_sf2 /vice]# createvol_rep coda:root E0000100 /vicepa
> Servers are (serverA serverB )
> HexGroupId is 7F000000
> creating volume coda:root.0 on serverA
> V_BindToServer: binding to host sf2.ss.visual.bt.co.uk
> Volume 2a000001 (coda:root.0) created
> creating volume coda:root.1 on serverB
> V_BindToServer: binding to host sf21.ss.visual.bt.co.uk
> Volume 2a000001 (coda:root.1) created
> Fetching /vice/vol/Volumelist from serverB serverA
> V_BindToServer: binding to host sf2
> VLDB completed.
> <echo coda:root 7F000000       2 2a000001 2a000001 0 0 0 0 0 0 E0000100 >>
> /vice/vol/VRList>
> V_BindToServer: binding to host sf2
> VRDB completed.
> Do you wish this volume to be Backed Up (y/n)? [n] n
> [root_at_sf2 /vice]#

> The other files in /vice/vol however show all volumes being stored
> on sf21.ss.visual.bt.co.uk. Somehow Coda takes the complete name
> here although changed every occurance in of sf21 and sf2 in /vice
> to serverA and serverB.

These should be done by server ID, so it makes sense that everything else
believes that both volumes are on one server, though it is puzzling that
nothing has blown up because of the two volumes with the same volume ID.

> I think the only solution I see at the moment is formatting
> the hard disk and reinstalling everything from the beginning.
> Then I can be sure that there isn't an error in the Linux
> configuration.

One other thing to do would be to turn up the log level on the server to 9
using :

volutil -h <servername> setdebug 9

and look below "Entering S_VolCreate" in /vice/srv/SrvLog

This would confirm what the server thinks it creating the volume as.

Good luck,
Shafeeq