Coda File System

venus init problems, revisited

From: Quinn Weaver <qweaver_at_vovida.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 17:23:08 -0800 (PST)
I just found a rather annoying problem:  If you run rdsinit by hand,
you typically exit venus-setup once it asks

Are you ready to set up RVM? [yes/no]

At this point, you are not in venus-setup proper, but in vice-setup-rvm,
which venus-setup runs in a subshell.  If you exit, the script does
not set up /vice/srv.conf for you.  You need to edit that file by hand.

It should have one line, with the following format:

log_partition data_partition segment_size

where log_partition is the device name for the log partition,
data_partition is the device name for the data partition, and segment_size
is the size of the entire data partition (in decimal!)

I'm surprised others haven't complained about this problem.  It's not
mentioned at all in the documentation.  It would be ideal to make rdsinit
write out the values itself.  An even easier solution, albeit a less
effective one, would be to make venus-setup warn people that they need
to make those changes after running rdsinit.

Anyway, I thought I should warn people about this gotcha and put in my
$.02 for making it more explicit.  Thanks!

--
Quinn Weaver  Software Engineer  ,      Vovida Networks  http://www.vovida.com