Coda File System

Re: strange tests with coda

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 17:54:33 -0500
On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 10:31:40AM +0100, Emmanuel Anne wrote:

> That is the problem : setting up the cache with venus-setup <host> 30000
> allows me to access normally to the files (I could not even read my big tar
> file - not so big : 11M). I had this ENOSPACE message even while
> trying to read which was very frustrating...
>
> All right now it is working with such a configuration... But isn't 30M
> rather big just for a cache ? Is there a way to use less memory on the
> clients to save some memory for the others apps without having to swap
> ? I guess I will try to have an other look to the venus manual...

Venus caches those 30MB on disk, there will be about 3MB of RVM loaded
into memory to store the metadata. (which according to my 'ps' output is
about 1/10th of the size of my Xserver...)

I'm guessing that you still didn't get a token to allow the changes to
be propagated to the server. And every MB of client cache saves you in
network traffic later on (and is nice when you're disconnected).

On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 03:51:10PM +0100, Emmanuel Anne wrote:
> On 19-Nov-99 Jan Harkes wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 03:34:02PM +0100, Emmanuel Anne wrote:
> >> I tried to mount a simple server to make some tests on it.
> >> Log file = 12M (in a file /log)
> >> data file = 44M (in a file /data)
> ..
> > 3 The client cache is full (fileobjects),
> >     this can also happen when no objects can be flushed. This is
> >     calculated by the client on the assumption of an average filesize of
> >     16K/file. So a 10MB cache can cache at most 416 fileobjects
> >     (directories + files + symlinks).... Oh, and there are a couple
> >     reserved for repair purposes.
>
> Ok second part of my answer...
> I had a look at the docs...
> Well, they are quite short for venus !
> So maybe you can answer more quicly to my question :
> I want to setup a server with a lot of little files.
> Over 100,000 files in different directories would be nice.
> How should I setup the client part for this then ???
> Am I obliged to have a 30M cache ?

No, it is the server you want 100.000 files on, don't you?

The client just needs a cache that is large enough to handle your
`working set'. We have several gigabytes on our servers, but my client
has a 100MB cache as that's just about what I need to hoard my stuff.