Coda File System

Re: Coda release 5.3.1 (unstable, development)

From: Troy Benjegerdes <hozer_at_drgw.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 01:20:59 -0500 (CDT)
On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Troy> Heh, well, IMHO, the GOTO's are evil and should be shot,
>     Troy> killed, mangled, etc.
>
> Well, what really should happen is that an exception should be thrown.
> I don't know what all compilers y'all are committed to supporting so I
> can't insist on that.  But if one must work with some lowest common
> denominator, "goto error_return"s are OK in my book, especially if the
> compiler will catch errors like the one in question.

Well, if everything required gcc-2.95, that'd be fine by me, and then this
could probably be done the right way with exceptions, etc, but I suspect
that's not really an option at this time.

> YM obviously does V.
>
>     Troy> Following this theory, managed to rework the offending
>     Troy> section of code to not need a goto. (althoug it then
>     Troy> required about 3 move levels of 'if then else' blocks)
>
> Ughly; IMHO that's not a win.  The biggest one would cover, what,
> about 50-60 lines?

Yes, it's very ugly, and since the compile finished, at the time it was a
win. Now that I think about what I did, I'm beginning to wonder if it
really was ;)

>     Troy> I posted the patch to the list earlier, let me know if you
>     Troy> want it.
>
> Thanks, I saw it; I want to stick to the main line for the moment, is all.

| Troy Benjegerdes    |  troy_at_blacklablinux.com    |    hozer_at_drgw.net   |
|    Unix is user friendly... You just have to be friendly to it first.  |
| This message composed with 100% free software.    http://www.gnu.org   |