Coda File System

Re: Slackware Linux

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 21:31:37 -0400
On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 09:10:12PM -0400, avenger wrote:
> I have for that lst month or two been trying to figure out what it is that
> causes the source code for coda not to compile under any version of
> Slackware Linux and I must be missing something.  Could someone please
> tell me how to make coda run under Slackware?
>
> --Aaron

Once upon a time, when everybody was still using libc5 on Linux it
probably worked. However, as development has continued on mainly glibc
based distributions, a lot of the code simply doesn't compile nicely
anymore. We are trying to keep new code reasonably `posixized' to
help in portability to all the currently supported platforms.

The code cleanups that have been going on might actually have helped.
I don't know what the cause of the failing compiles is, headers, types?
Besides, not all platforms that Coda compiles on are glibc either, but
a lot of differences are still hidden in the hundreds of #ifdef's, which
we are slowly trying to get rid of (the fewer ifdefs, the less work it
should be to compile Coda to a new platform).

Maybe if we move more smarts into autoconf to reduce platform
dependencies in the code, or when the new glibc based Slackware release
comes out, Coda will suddenly work `out of the box' on Slack.