Coda File System

Re: Problems with reading files

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 11:28:07 -0400
On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 03:46:02PM +0200, Walter Christian wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Ist just restarted my server (i did a clean shutdown) and restarted all my
> clients, but i still can't read any files from the server.
> The logfile entrie looks like the following, when i try to read an file:
>
> 15:42:39 FetchBulkTransfer: InitSE failed (-1002), (0xa.0xce.0xc8)
>
> What does that mean ?
>
> Greetings,
> 	Walter Christian

Hi Walter,

First of all, the server-id you gave that server in /vice/db/servers (0)
is asking for problems. I've appended an entry from our (admittedly very
sparse) FAQ on the web.

That error indicates that sftp, the side effect that performs the actual
transfers had some problem. f.i. It was unable to find/open the containerfile
that holds the data for the file that was being requested. There should
also be an error message in /usr/coda/etc/console, written by rpc2/sftp
itself. And that is possibly something like `<containername>: No such
file or directory'.

The errorcodes that sftp returns are really too sparse to tell exactly
what goes wrong (this one is RPC2_SEFAIL1, and is used in 15 different
places for different reasons, sigh).

You probably want to consider reinitializing this server. 0 is used all
over the code to indicate `no server', like `-1' indicates a server-error.
And any rpc operation (such as the store operations) will fail to send
data to this server.

  Server id's in /vice/db/servers

    All servers in a coda cell need to have a unique number to identify
    them. The servername to identifier mappings have to be defined by
    the administrator in the file /vice/db/servers on the SCM. The
    format of this file is as follows:

      servernameX.domain.name    1
      servernameY.domain.name    2

    There are currently several limitations to which identifiers are
    actually usable.

      - all numbers must fit in a single byte.
      - 0 and -1 (255) are used in error conditions.
      - 127 is used to identify `replicated volumes'.

    This leaves us with a usable range of 1-126 and 128-245 for server
    identifiers.