Coda File System

Re: Best way to install client under Redhat 6.0

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 15:28:08 -0400
On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 03:15:14PM -0400, Alan Kelm wrote:

> I'm new to CODA and am trying to get the client working under Redhat 6.0.
>
> After doing
>    # venus-setup testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu 10000
> and
>    # venus &
> the startup begins ok,  but gets stuck at the following point:
>   14:38:46 Getting Root Volume information...
>   14:39:01 GetRootVolume: can't get root volume name!
>   14:39:31 GetRootVolume: can't get root volume name!
>
> I'm guessing that there may be a version problem with the pieces I am
> using.  Here is what I've got:
>
>   Redhat 6.0 (Intel) kernel  2.2.5-22
>   coda-debug-client-5.2.7-1.i386.rpm
>   Coda kernel module built using linux-coda-5.2.0.tgz

Hi Alan,

I don't think there are any version problems, the GetRootVolume is the
first rpc request that is sent to the server. It either doesn't reach
our testserver, or the reply doesn't make it back to you back.

I did notice that the testserver was responding with BUSY's a lot, so it
probably ran out of worker threads. I restarted the server, maybe it
will work now?