Coda File System

Re: newbie questions on sizes...

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 13:13:50 -0400
On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 10:50:59AM -0600, Lou Langholtz wrote:
> > . . .
> > >   3. If coda supports bigger than 2GB caches, is the largest file size
> > >      always the size of the cache or is it limited to 32bits large or
> > >      something? Ie. is coda a 32 bit file system?
> >
> > Yes, Coda is still very 32-bit oriented. Even on a 64-bit processor,
> > like the sparc64 we have to compile and run 32-bit object code.
> >
> > Jan
>
> thanks so much for your quick and helpful responses!
>
> has any thought been given towards 64-bit filesystem support? anyone working
> on making coda 64-bit capable already?
>
> thanks again!

Hi Lou,

As Coda caches whole files, it is not very useful to actually have
larger than 2GB files because it takes a lot of time to fetch/store such
a large file (I know networking is getting faster every day, but still).
However, being able to run Coda on 64-bit architectures and supporting
larger than 2GB venus-caches are very useful indeed.